Skip to main content

Tricks for Windows 8 in Virtual Box

It's a bit of a ball ache getting Windows 8 to run nicely in VirtualBox. Here is a couple of small tips to help you though...


Install Virtual Machine Additions

This can be done, but you will need to mount Virtual Machine Additions as a disk, then explore and right click on the exe and set to run in Windows 7 compatability mode. 

Getting the resolution right

The resolution is never right if your using a laptop. You can use VboxManager to inject the correct resolution in the virtual machine though. You essentially go to your Virtual Box installation on your parent computer and run the following command.... 

C:Program FilesOracleVirtualBox>VBoxManage setextradata “Windows 8 Preview” CustomVideoMode1 1366x768x32

The "Windows 8 Preview" will be whatever you have called your Windows 8 virtual machine. Thanks to this site for this tip...


Changing the Virtual Disk Size

I made the foolish mistake of allowing the default virtual disk size of 20gb for my virtual machine. Windows 8 takes up quite a lot of space (around 8gb not including swap file space) and when you install Visual Studio 11 Beta that wants a massive amount of space as well. You will soon need more. First this trick, you firstly need to use VBoxManage again, discovered from above and then consulting the Virtual Box documentation. 

C:Program FilesOracleVirtualBox>VBoxManage modifyhd <your vdi> --resize 40960. 

Your vdi file is most likely somewhere like C:UsersYouVirtualBox VMsWindows8Windows8.vdi but you can find out where it is from Virtual Box anyway. 

Once you have done this, your Windows 8 installation will need it's partition resizing. You can do this using DiskPart. Open a command prompt up in Windows 8 by just typing CMD on the metro side.  At the command prompt type


to get you into the Diskpart program. You will then need to select the correct disk and volume. You can see your disks and volumes by typing





Make sure you select the correct disk and volume from those listed on the list commands as the next instructions will be performed on whichever you have selected....

You will then need to extend the disk to the amount you have resized the vdi to. Remember if you initially set it to 20gb and have resized to 40gb you will need to extend it by 20gb (20 * 1024 = 20480)


It should confirm this has been done. And I believe that is all you need to do.



Popular posts from this blog

NESTA - Next Gen.

via Following on from an article on the BBC about Raspberry Pi, this next gen report has some interesting findings. The scariest stat which I picked out from the BBC website was "out of the 28,767 teachers who were awarded Qualified Teacher Status... in 2010, only three qualified in computing or computing science as their primary qualification" Having worked as a computer science teacher for a year in a school that was a specialist in Computing I can concur that the uptake in Comp Sci was woeful. 2 Students for A2... The other teachers backgrounds in Computer Science was also fairly woeful (most knowing a bit about Office but still a paltry amount even about that). I couldn't speak for my counterpart that I was covering however. I suspect they were fairly up on things. All in all what kills me is that Computer science is not a secondary level subject. Areas are often covered, a little in IT, a little in DT subjects (if kids choose Systems and Contr

An instantiated object should be "ok"

I've been QA'ing quite a bit of work recently and one common theme I've noticed across both Java and C# projects I have been looking at is that we occasionally open ourselves up unessacarily to Exceptions by the way objects are being created. My general rule of thumb (which I have seen mentioned in a Pluralsight video recently but also always re-iterate in various Robust Software talks I have done) is that you shouldn't be able to create an object and then call a method or access a property that then throws an exception. At worst, it should return null (I'm not going to moan about that now). I've created an example below. We have two Dojos, one is good and one is bad. The bad dojo looks very familiar though. It's a little class written in the style that seems often encouraged. In fact, many classes start life as something like this. Then as years go on, you and other colleagues add more features to the class and it's instantiation becomes a second

Accessing the UI Thread with Tasks in F#

I have a Windows Forms program written in F# that can deploy a code base to n number of sites at once (you select the sites you would like to deploy to and it goes off and completes a number of tasks (backing up current sites, various unpacking and moving of files etc... ). Once you start it, it begins it's merry journey and begins to update the UI with what has happened. At the moment this method of updating the UI is not pretty because the threads I am doing the work on can't update the UI so I perform some fiendery to make that happen (don't ask). I knew there was a better way using some newer .NET features but I just hadn't got round to having a fiddle yet. I have now found that if you use the built in Task class but break your code up in a nicer way and then chain the tasks together you can then pass the correct context into the task that you want to talk to the UI. Here's a little script to give you a feel for it. You can press the "start" butt